Re: What is the best solution for PC based lighting control?

"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:54:03 GMT, "Steve" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
> in
> message  <LeOPg.976412$084.916668@attbi_s22>:
>
>>Looking at UPB, Insteon and Z-wave.  Hard to tell which one of those will
>>be
>>the winner.  Anyone have a hot pick, and more importantly why?
>
> A bit like asking whether Harley-Davidson, GM or Boeing "will be the
> winner".

Interesting analogy...I view them as notionally equivalent competing
solutions based on different technologies.  Curious as to why do you
percieve them as that different.  My real concern is buying into something
that is subsequently abandoned by the market and manufacturers.  Buying the
right stuff upfront, even if its more costly is the right lifetime solution.

> Of these, (and I  own/have experimented with all but Crestron and AMX)
> Charmed Quark with INSTEON through an ELK MG1 hardware panel would be my
> choix-du-jour. The Elk panel is a capable bargain, and INSTEON hardware
> woes
> (in an all-INSTEON -- not hybrid INSTEON/X-10 system!) has been subjected
> much hippo-speak in this newsgroup by folks with insufficient actual
> experience in my opinion. CQ seems rock stable and soundly designed which
> are
> the most important criteria in my opinion.

I will look into CQ.  All of the technologies have PC interfaces.

I have looked at the Elk, but I don't think there is going to be a security
panel in this home.  Retro wiring the perimeter is just going to be too
hard.  May go with minimal panel later, but nothing worthy of an Elk.

Thanks