X10 HA vs. security

I just bought myself a new condo last month (oh yeah, first time
homeowner!) and was toying with the idea of buying an X10 CM11A off
ebay and using it with Heya to do some simple automation stuff. One
thing in particular that I'd like to do is rig up some door sensors so
that I know a) if I forget to close the garage door, and b) to alert my
girlfriend and I if somebody comes in uninvited while we're sleeping.

I guess I have a few questions here. First, among the droves of info
about X10, I can't really seem to sort out anything regarding whether
or not the door sensor (which I believe is considered a security
module) will send regular X10 signals to the CM11A which can be read by
Heya. Any info on this?

Second, I've noticed several threads complaining about how old and
unreliable X10 is. Is it all *that* unreliable? If I were to use newer
modules which support status polling (I believe they exist, right?)
could I not just include in my scripts something that would keep trying
to turn a device on or off until the status polling reflected this
change? I see there are other alternatives out there, but seeing as I
just bought my first place my budget is such that, well I probably
shouldn't even be looking at X10 nevermind something more expensive.

Thanks all!
Ken