Re: No more X10 at Radio Shack?

> You sound like a typical teckie with money falling out of his pockets.
> Can't get something to work?  Just throw money at it.  Can't be bothered
> understand how it works.

Ah no, just someone who's learned the power of not wasting money on a fool's
errand.  This of course, after having wasted said money on the X10 fool's
errand.  I've been a developer for quite a while so I'm more than familiar
with how X10 works.  How it's supposed to work and the nightmares of how
it's crappy components don't.

So please, when you ASSuME...

> Remember, X10 was developed 30 years ago in a different environment.  It
> worked then out of the box.  The environment has changed, and now it takes
> some planning.  But X10 still works, and can work 100%.  The WAF is
> important, and she is my best indicator of any X10 problem.  We only had
one
> cranky module on a compact fluorescent light before adding the XTB.  It
> missed its OFF command every few months.  Now everything works 100%.

Having to play games with being careful about CF bulbs, PC power supplies,
UPSes and the like is not my idea of useful ways to spend my time.  Or
watching out for any new devices possibly conflicting.  Or dealing with
filters.  Or rewiring a breaker panel.  None of which have been necessary
with RadioRA gear.

> RadioRA works well now.  Will it run into problems as more RF devices move
> into our homes?  Only time will tell...

It's been out for, what, a decade?  Continues to work great.  I've got
plenty of other RF remote devices (x10 rf, zwave, IR repeaters, microwaves,
wifi, cordless phones) and NONE of them interfere with the rock-solid
reliable operation I'm getting out of the RadioRA devices.  Given FCC
regulations of airwaves I'm a lot more confident that'll continue.

I'm no saying RadioRA is the end-all, be-all solution.  I'm simply saying
X10 is junk and Radio Shaft dropping it is a good sign for helping clean up
the ongoing stain it's put on the residential automation market.  Here's
hoping MORE sales channels make likewise intelligent decisions to abandon
X10.

-Bill Kearney