Re: No more X10 at Radio Shack?

"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:jlhrm2ld0vta1b0qr34ach68cqmu488g9j@xxxxxxxxxx
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:41:51 GMT, "Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in
> message  <3NYah.115414$Fi1.103737@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> >X10 can be a cost-effective and very reliable system for those who care
> >put in some effort.
> >
> >Actually, it is probably better that retail channels drop it because that
> >will get rid of many of the impulse buyers who are disappointed when it
> >doesn't work 100% right out of the box.  You know the ones - their VCRs
> >flashed 12:00 for years until manufacturers included automatic clock
> >setting.
>
> This is a not an apt comparison in my opinion. A person does not need an
> electrician to program a VCR, but in most jurisdictions in the US, a
person
> must either have the knowledge, manual skills, tools *and* authorization
> do electrical AC work themselves, or hire a licensed  electrician who may
> also need to be bonded and(or) show proof of paying fees/taxes in the
local
> jurisdiction.
>
> What proportion of folks are competent enough to accurately construct a
> schematic diagram of their home's AC wiring and then reconfigure the main
> entrance panel to put all X-10 on one phase safely and in accordance with
> codes?

That was exactly my point.  The folks who can't do that are the ones most
likely to walk into the local Radio Shack and pick up that gee wiz
automation kit consisting of a controller and a few plug-in modules.  Then
they plug it in as shown on the box, and it doesn't work.  So they either
take it back to the store or rant here and elsewhere that X10 is junk.
Those that buy from the more respected automaton channels like Worthington
or SmartHome probably have some clue as to what they are doing.

Jeff