Re: No more X10 at Radio Shack?

Hello Jeff,

> Actually, it is probably better that retail channels drop it because that
> will get rid of many of the impulse buyers who are disappointed when it
> doesn't work 100% right out of the box.  You know the ones - their VCRs
> flashed 12:00 for years until manufacturers included automatic clock
> setting.

Ours still flashes 12:00 after an outage. X10 let us down here: We
bought the X10 universal remote and on the picture it had a "Menu"
button in the lower left. When I unpacked it I discovered that it had a
"Guide" button in that space and no menu button. Hence we cannot program
the clock or anything else at all except by unplugging again and holding
some magic buttons on the VCR itself. Its original remote had died.

Tried dozens of VCR codes in the booklet and none turns that useless
guide button into menu mode :-(

> How many of the "new and better" systems will still be around 30 years from
> now?

Good point. "New and better" is not only about technology, they also
need to understand marketing. So far I don't see that happen.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com