Re: A mentor / Advisor ?

"Dean Roddey" <droddey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:3kt3h.5354$9v5.1979@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Chris Hackett" <chackett@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> Are there any on-line retailers that you know of for the CharmedQuark
>> products and services?
>>
>> The CharmedQuark website seems to have two products, one is a software
>> solution and the other looks like component / chassis type hardware
>> device. Reminiscent of a linux appliance or something.  Is this the
>> solution you are encouraging me to look at further?
>>

> There are two ways to purchase CQC. You can buy the DIY product (just buy
> it through the online store, under the Try/Buy tab) and install it
> yourself. Or, you can purchase it via an installer who will do it for you.
> The latter is of course more expensive, but time is money and if you don't
> have the time and have the money it can get you where you want to go
> quicker.

This is a software product correct?  I guess the primary expense of a
professional installation is the configuration of the software to controll
or work with whatever devices and or panels I have?  I guess since I'm
starting from scratch and have nothing to control, downloading a timed trial
at this point would not be my best bet right now?  Would it be beneficial to
download or read the manual to see what devices I can control and learn more
about exactly what this stuff can do?

> We don't really have a hardware product. What you see there is just a
> standard PC (though a well done one with our logo engraved on the
> faceplate) with CQC pre-installed. We are going to stop selling that
> though, since we've teamed up with www.2partsfusion.com to do our hardware
> boxes for anyone who is looking for a pre-fab hardware/CQC package.

So does the CharmedQuark run on top of a media server (like the ones at
2partsfusion?)  Or does it run on a standard PC that in turn controls the
media server?

> I don't think that CQC is quite as A/V oriented as it might sound from
> reading this thread. It supports things like the Elk and Omni Pro II
> panels, and quite a bit of core automation type hardware, and will have
> more in the upcoming 2.0 release (it looks like maybe 25 to 30 new
> drivers, though it remains to be seen how many will be ready for prime
> time by the 2.0 release date.)

Interesting.  This is such a learning experience for me.  So what is the
hardware interface between CQC and all these panels and devices?  I'm sure
it varies, but for example, what is the physical connection between whatever
device is running the CQC software and the ELK M1 Gold panel?  I would use
the CQC software to control the lights and programming, etc of all the
lights that are connected to the elk m1?

> It does have strong support in the A/V area, since that's a heavily
> growing part of the automation world. Whereas turning lights on and off
> remains something that doesn't quite click with many people, browsing your
> DVDs on touch pads and so forth seems to be a more powerful driver to get
> people excited about automation, then we talk them into turning the lights
> on and off.

I would agree completly.  Lights are cool, but some of the screen shots I've
seen in the CQC forums are definitely much cooler.  I would definitely like
to learn more about the hardware that's behind some of those screens, and
maybe figure out if this stuff is something I can realistically implement.

> Anyway, the combination of something like CQC layered over an Elk or Omni
> ProII is a quite nice solution that is very commonly used by our
> customers. It can be quite an investment in time and learning curve to get
> both those bits well understood and do all the physical installation
> though. If you aren't getting into this for the love of the game, you
> might want to consider professional installation, or at least professional
> consultation.

Can you recommend any professionals in the Greater Atlanta area?

Thanks!!
Chris Hackett