Re: The problems with X10 ...

>> Thack
>
>INSTEON is starting to look as though economically it will be a direct competitor...few bugs
>still being sorted out but most seem to be simple QC issues....I can tell you that from my
>perspective it is extremely reliable signalwise.

Bugs?  Complaining about X10 and Insteon reliability is liking
complaining about the laws of physics.

These wire-carrier signal devices are a cheap solution to a problem.
In brief, you don't have to rip out the walls or pay an electrician to
put in a light switch where it should have been in the first place.

I have a few X10 units in my house and they work 99.95% of the time.
They control a few remote lights and I use appliance modules to power
up my computers since a few of these are in out-of-the-way places.

I would never rely on these for a critical burglar alarm or fire
detection system, however.

Beachcomber