Re: Multiswitches and Multisatellite Dishes

Lewis Gardner <lgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> Ian Shef wrote:
>
>> However, I haven't yet found a site that explains HOW a 4 input
>> multiswitch can work with a Phase III DirecTV antenna.
>>
>> I guess that I could just accept it on faith that it works, but I would
>> prefer to know the details.
>
> So do I.
>
> Apparently the Phase III uses "stacker" technology so I was thinking
> "old tech" with the discrete LNB plan.
>
> The Phase III LNB/switch works with 4 cables for 6 signals (3
> satellites) because 2 of the signals (1 satellite) are in the Ka band.
> Polarization is used on all signals but since Ka is a different
> frequency than Ku both signals can exist on the same coax.
>
> So (for illustration purposes ONLY) you end up with something like this:
>
> coax1 14vdc = Ku1 RHCP + Ka RHCP
> coax2 18vdc = Ku1 LHCP + Ka LHCP
> coax3 14vdc+22Khz = Ku2 RHCP
> coax4 18vdc+22Khz = Ku2 LHCP
Aha!  6 signals on 4 cables.  Great explanation!

<Remainder of great explanation deleted.>
<Useful supplemental links deleted.  Helpful, but not as much as Lewis's
explanation.>

THANKS!  Got it!

--
Ian Shef     805/F6      *    These are my personal opinions
Raytheon Company         *    and not those of my employer.