Insteon Users note re: KeypadLinc setup - Installation status update

The Insteon KeypadLinc comes configured as a 6 button device but can be
converted to an 8 button device with the included faceplate kit.  The
instructions then say to pull the setup tab all the way out (airgap),
wait 10 seconds then press it while holding in keys A & H.   That won't
work so looking at the Users Manual (not the included Quick Start guide)
they tell you to do the same thing but don't press the setup button all
the way in - just press it gently to the "neutral" position (my words).
That doesn't do it either.  Through trial and error I learned that there
is one more step - you must keep pressing A & H for at least 10 seconds
till the A button starts to flash.  That little tidbit would have saved
me 20 minutes tonight!

Another note, if you're planning on doing some cross-linking it is
helpful to have an assistant and a pair of walkie-talkies.  To crosslink
you have to hit the paddle on one unit for 10 seconds, go to the other
unit and press that one for ten seconds. Press it again for 10 seconds
and go back to the first one and press that one for 10 more seconds.
More locations mean more running around so an assistant can be REAL
helpful in a larger home.

I currently have almost half of my X10 stuff replaced with Insteon and
expect to finish the job over the next week.  I'm at the point where
Insteon reliability has improved to about 95% and X10 has dropped below
50%. While Insteon can handle both, the two protocols do NOT play well
together.  Before I started the conversion X10 was at about 98% with
some unsolvable troublespots and getting progressively worse.   The
Insteon problems I'm having now are not related to the protocol as much
as they are to timing issues with the translator. Once RoZetta replaces
the translator I expect to see most of those issues resolved.

The biggest thing is the mental conversion of how Insteon works vs. X10.
We are used to receivers and transmitters where any device that sends
the proper code will work.  With Insteon, every single unit is two way
and has it's own unique address (think MAC address).  Only units that
have been programmed to pay attention to each other will work together.
There are a number of pluses and minuses to this approach and it
certainly takes some getting used to!