Re: anyone know when x10 could first set the codes electronically?

I thought things like the "socket rocket" have been around at least since
1998.  The X-10 handheld MBR remotes set the housecodes electronically -
they've been around for quite some time.  My instruction booklet file shows
the remotes existed at least as early as May 1999.  IIRC, there's no code
wheel on the CM11A and that's been around since 1998, at least according to
a file sort by date in my X-10 online files.  I'm not sure exactly what the
OP wants to track:

1) first non-codewheel unit
2) proximity programming via Maxi console - as in the socket rocket  3)
programming via button press sequence (like the EagleEye PIR transmitters).

I dimly recall a Bearcat 101 scanner that had sixteen lever switches in
front that allowed you to set frequencies electronically by translating the
binary numbers you entered via switch position.  That's got to be at least
20 years old, maybe even 30.  There's doubtless loads of prior art on
electronic code selection, probably going back to the famous cryptographic
machines of WWII.

--
Bobby G.