seeking smart folder solutions

I tend to create a folder structure on the PC's that are networket @
home. Then, I like to use a SyncToy to manage the contents.

Here's a question: I want to use/write/steal some software that will
_generate_ a number of different folder structures, grading them with a
quotation.

This is what I'm after:

root1 --- dev --- doc --- html ---- proja
               +       +        +-- projb
               +       +- msword -- proja
               +                 +- projb
               +       +- excel --- proja
               +                 +- projb
               +- src +-- vb ------ proja
                       +        +-- projb
                       +- vc++ ---- proja
                       +        +-- projb
                       +- java ---- proja
                                +-- projb

root2 --- doc --- proja --- src
               +          +--- vb
               +          +--- vc++
               +          +--- java
               +        +-- doc
               +          +-- html
               +          +-- msword
               +          +-- excel
               +- projb --- src
                          +--- vb
                          +--- vc++
                          +--- java
                        +-- doc
                          +-- html
                          +-- msword
                          +-- excel

Rather than actually create the folders, and populating them using a
_pool_of_files_ I think I need a __view__ object that discreetly hides
the technical layout of the file system.

What can I use to make headway into the design of the UI of these
"view_folders"? Spare me the wild 3d stuff for now.

One practical use of such _view_folders_ would be something I now create
by hand:

winxp --- settings --- Computer Mgt --- Svc and Apps --- Svcs
                                     +- Dvc Mgr -------- PC1 --- Comp
                                                              +- Disk Dr
                                                              +- Disp Ad
                                                              +..... etc

here, leaf folder Svcs contains several files (with naming convention):

                                [mm-dd-yyy hhmm abbrev] . [htm]
						[mm-dd-yyy hhmm abbrev] . [mht]
						[mm-dd-yyy hhmm ]       . [txt]
                                [mm-dd-yyy hhmm abbrev] . [xml]
						[mm-dd-yyy hhmm ]       . [xml]

leaf folders Comp, Disk Dr, Disp Ad, etc.. don't contain anything yet.
It's clear that mapping this MS Management Console output will be a
_real_ pain in the neck for me. If I had the courage to move ahead with
it. I tend to fill the folder structure on a need-to-know basis.

Your thoughts much appreciated!

stefaan dot meeuws at gmail dot com

[05-20-2006 2300]