Re: biometric locksets -- experience?

> I finally decided, anything more difficult to defeat than "rock through
> window" isn't worth worrying about. A guy with an RFID sniffer is going to
> get into my house a lot less often than a guy with a rock.  Best I can hope
> to do is provide barriers to the casual thief, and hope to ensure the alarm
> goes off on an unauthorized entry.

Precisely!  A brief dissertation on home security follows.  Hope
some find this helpful.

There are a few things you can do without incurring considerable
cost to enhance your home's security.  The obvious stuff about
keeping shrubbery trimmed and the exterior well lit has been
mentioned hundreds of times but it still bears repeating.

Good locks should have at least a 1" (preferably 1-1/2") throw
deadbolt.  The strike plate should be set with 4" long, hardened
screws so it ties into the framing member instead of just the
thin pine of the door jamb.  Self-locking door locks should have
an anti-shim device so they can't easily be opened with a credit
card.

The above should be part of your first line of defense.  Bob
Campbell, a friend from Canada who sells physical and electronic
security systems has a wealth of information on ways to make your
home physically secure in his website at
http://www.homemetal.com/

Side note: Like me, Bob has a bit of a burr under his saddle for
certain less-than-honorable members of the alarm industry and he
uses his website as a forum to express those views.

An electronic security system should be your second line of
defense after physical security.  You might want to consider
doing a full perimeter system, consisting of magnetic door and
window sensors (called "contacts") backed up by acoustic glass
break detectors in rooms where a thief is likely kick in a glass
door, etc.  Glass break detectors are not 100% reliable though.
They are an enhancement but should not be considered primary
protection.

If you don't have lots of animals running around, consider a few
strategically placed motion detectors as well.  These can serve
double duty as alarm and occupancy sensors.

Look into smoke detection as well.  It's an inexpensive
enhancement that can save your house if the alarm is monitored.
Note: I didn't say it will save your life because most modern
homes in the US already have 110VAC smoke detectors that can save
your life.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.