Re: Insteon -- Any New Experiences?

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:33:30 GMT, Mitch <sumcoolgai@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <us2Nf.165$Bu6.17@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Marc F Hult wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 01:24:27 GMT, Mitch <sumcoolgai@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>> message  <fDNMf.3077$xS5.1769@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>>> I'm looking at doing a fairly good size lighting system in an existing
>>> house and am thinking about Insteon...
>>>
>>> I'd like to hear from anyone who has done anything significant with
>>> these products.  How was your experience?  Reliability, etc. would be
>>> great to hear about.
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> Mitch
>>
>> See my other recent posts. I've ripped out what was left of the X-10 from
>> our house. INSTEON will replace X10 and probably some other equipment
that
>> had homebrew hardware.
>>
>> INSTEON ICON is less expensive than (eg) Leviton X-10, much more
reliable,
>> more flexible, faster, has better tactile feel and so on.
>>
>> Speed *is* important in a system that uses feedback, for example, setting
>> light level by measuring actual illumination rather than simply as a
>> fraction of the powerline cycle (conventional dimmer).
>>
>> Some quibbles (some temporary, and in no particular order):
>>
>> 1) switches are the conventional contemporary "Decora' style that is not
>> well suited for many locations in our home
>>
>> 2) colors  other than white are not (yet) available for ICON switches
>>
>> 3) no switched outlet available (yet)
>>
>> 4) ICON and V2 switches have different interfaces (1-touch vs 2-touch)
>>
>> 5) AC line noise still unassessed (by me).
>>

>> The first issue may be easily resolved with a different face plate which
may
>> not have to be homebrew if this is already planned (I dunno). Also, the
>> design seems to be amenable to a home-brew low-voltage extension of the
>> switch contacts (reed relay, 1-wire, DMX-512 etc) which would liberate
the
>> switch from its unappealing (to me) physical interface.
>>
>> My 2 cents .. Marc
>> Marc_F_Hult
>> www.ECOntrol.org
>>
>How's reliability been?  Do you have a large number of switches
>installed?  Are you using any of the other insteon switches besides the
>icon's?
>
>I'll be putting in about 30 switches and dimmers.  A few will be icon,
>but many will be "switchlinc v2".
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Mitch

I think I prefer the ICON switches. The LEDs on the V2 models are too gaudy
and bright except for a room with 'modern' decor. If the LED logic on the
ICON switches were reversed, (Green when the room light is ON instead of v
v) it would be preferable.  I presume that the purpose is to be able to find
the switch in the dark, but I find the lights (especially the many bright
ones one the V2 models ) to be annoying.  There may be some tweaking to be
done in firmware and with filters. I may replace the five V2 models I
installed with ICON models (1/2 price, same quality, less gaudy, simpler
operation). The V2 6/8-position switch+pad is a different matter and is a
winner. The light level can be controlled with opacity of the labels used
(and perhaps other ways -- I dunno.)

As I wrote in OK with modules. The wall switches I've installed work well in
manual mode. That was one of the most exasperating part of X10 switches --
even if you gave up on using them for automation, they were still a POS
because the tactile feel and feedback was so poor. The V2 and ICON switches
feel the same and are good enough in this regard (for me and mine).

HTH ... Marc

Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org