Re: WiFi Antennas & transceivers

"-oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-" <aualloy@xxxxxxxxx> hath wroth:

>Jeff they are not all the same.

That was a subtle hint to kindly disclose the exact model number.

>But Quickertek just came up with a
>clip on high-powered antenna that I guess will even work on ThinkPads.
>Must have seen your post.
>
>http://www.quickertek.com/PBConnect.php

Ouch.  $200 for an add on antenna?  No specifications of any sort?  No
numbers of any type?  I'm very suspicious.

>It must be a repeater because
>they claim:
>
>In addition the Connect works with multiple computers, so, lets say you
>had an ad hoc meeting in the far corner of the office, or even outside
>on a picnic table, everyone at the meeting could enjoy the same strong
>signal.

I think you're correct that it is a repeater.  It's powered by the USB
port or internal battery, but doesn't seem to require any connection
to the internal Airport card.

I'm also suspicious if it will even work at such a close distance.
I've had problems with wireless when the client is very close to the
access point.  Sometimes, it's a timing issue at high speeds.  Other
times its simple overload of the receiver inputs.  The "review" at:

http://blog.smalldog.com/article/53/quckertek-connect-wireless-antenna
doesn't seem to indicate that they actually tried to install one.

I dunno about this one.  I wanna see some numbers.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com