Re: Wireless thermostat

I looked into this awhile back and found two things that may be of
interest.  One is that there are thermostats available that can be
controlled via a phone interface.  I think I also saw some that could
be controlled via computer too.  I think the phone control idea may be
more practical, because that way you can change the temp by calling in
from anywhere, say on the way home from the airport.

The other device I found was a telephone dial in controller that had a
couple of outputs from a relay that you could use to control anything.
Using that, you could use the phone to switch between two thermostats.
 You could have the main thermostat set to hold at say 45, and leave
the aux thermostat always set to 70.   Then, on the way back home, you
could call in and have it switch.

It looked like they did a pretty good job on this unit, including
ability to work on same line as an answering machine.  You can set the
unit to pick up on say ring 5, while the answer machine picks up on say
ring 3.   To accesss it, you call in once, let it ring a couple times,
then hang up.   When you call back again within 30 secs, the unit will
answer on the first ring.  They have access code protection too, of
course.