Re: Power Supplies, Saving Money, and switching vs. Linear?

>> Well, to some the piece of mind that they're not wasting that much more in
>> the way of fossil fuels is worth the investment.  It's not purely a matter
>> of costs.  18 years (and more) of not being yet another fuel consumer.
>
>The solar payback equations are often predicated on unrealistically stable
>electrical rates.   In my neck of the woods, the rates have gone up and are
>going up like never before.  I think the payback will come much sooner than
>in 18 years in the pure business case mode.  As you point out, there's a
>psychological payback, too, from not being so big a part of the overall
>fossil fuel dependency problem.

Doing this kind of analysis requires looking at yourself, your stage
in life, and what kind of lifestyle you expect to lead.   If you are a
home flipper and look at your home as just another economic investment
that you might sell in 3 -5 years, then the numbers for a renewable
solar system might not make sense as an investment.  It might make
your home more marginally attractive when it comes time to sell,
however.

However, if you are building a homestead for your family that you
intend to keep for a long, long time, it only makes sense to use fine
materials and superior constuction techniques.  A fully functional
off-the grid house is one of the greatest gifts you could give to
future generations.

Beachcomber