Re: Security System

Mr. Gibbage wrote:
>>>3.  Obviuosly, the switches all terminate at the actual security
>>>system ("black box" from my OP).  From there, there must be some type
>>>of wiring that connects the system to the remote keypads.  How is that
>>>typically done?  Most likely, where the builder is putting his
>>>keypads,  will want to put my own keypad/touchpad.  What are the
>>>chances that I will be able to use his wiring for this?
>>
>>There won't be a problem.  I always run two 22/4's to each keypad, but
>>the installing company may only run one in this instance.
>>

>>>What should I
>>>ask to builder to put in the area of the keypads?  RG6? CAT5? 120 VAC?
>>
>>You could ask him to run two 22/4's to each keypad.  You won't need
>>anything else.
>

> Thanks, Frank.
> Would this also be enough for touchscreens, perhaps driven by CQC?
> I've never heard of "22/4".  What kind of cable is it?
>
> Skip

"22/4" is standard four conductor 22AWG "quad" (also called Station "Z")
wire.  I believe CQC will need CAT5, I'm not sure.  You'll have to ask
the guy from CQC.  At this stage it would be really inexpensive to put
the extra wire in.

When I was doing residential installs in Edmonton, the company I was
with pre-wired for "everything" (full perimeter system), at least four
keypad locations (Master Bedroom, Hallway, Back Door and Front Door),
smoke detectors, heat detectors in the garage, laundry and furnace
rooms, and we installed special bars in the basement windows.  These
could be easily removed by simply lifting them out of their holders and
chucking them aside.  When you did that though, you also set off the
alarm system (a switch was installed in either the top or bottom
holder).  The bars were sold by Micron Security Products (who also
provided our custom security window screens).  The guy that owned Micron
at the time was an ex ADT sales guy.  The bars were his idea and I
believe he still retains the patent.

The "basic" system we sold included one keypad, five door contacts, all
the windows that opened, two motion sensors, a smoke detector, a heat
detector, and two window bars.  The customer could then add devices to
meet his budget or specific needs with "no pressure" from a sales
person.  We also added the first six months of monitoring for free as
long as they signed a one year contract.  This last bit didn't cost us
anything as the monitoring company we were using charged us the same way
(six months free).  A lot of dealers took advantage of that, but we
decided that customer retention was more important.  Later on, when the
Vista Series Panels were introduced (Ademco 4140XM), they had zone
expanders that made wiring a big house even easier because we didn't
have to "home run" everything.  We'd pick a convenient closet on the
second floor and "home run" all the second floor wiring to it.  The same
thing for the main floor and basement.  We'd then run two 22-4's and two
18-2's between all the closets to tie everything together.  Then we'd
"pick" the best location for the common control and make sure there was
a telephone drop to the protector at the side of the house and that the
electrician was aware we needed 120VAC.  Once siren run to the cold air
return (or main floor closet) and another in the attic (usually pointing
out the vent).  A couple of "spares" at the hatch for a possible
wireless receiver and that would pretty well round it out.

Frank Olson
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com