Best Way to Amplify X-10 Signal?

Hello:

To make a long story short, I've had much success using X-10 for
lighting control. Although I have a smaller house, I have made sparing
use of Leviton plug-in filters (I forget the model number) for the
electrical devices I have that tend to attenuate the X-10 signals. I
try to be cognizant of the devices I add so that I can pinpoint a
problem when it occurs. I've been fairly successful.

Now, however, I'm in a project to finish my basement. I'm staring to
get flakey X-10 behavior, and I know exactly where the problems are.
I've moved my computers from upstairs to the basement and have not
reinstalled the filters yet. I'm sure that if I were to reinstall
them my problems would go away.

Here is my question ... is this really the best way to handle this
problem? While I've been successful using these filters, I have
friends and family that have been equally successful using repeaters
and amplifiers. Which is the most robust solution?

I ask simply because as I finish the basement, I'll either need to buy
more filters or buy another solution, such as a repeater or amplifier.
I want to try to put my money towards the most robust solution. While
I don't want to throw money away, I'm willing to spend more to get a
better solution.

Lastly, and I really don't know what I'm talking about here, are there
any issues with repeaters and/or amplifiers with extended X-10 codes?
To be honest, I'm not sure if I even use extended codes right now, but
if I am, I don't want to loose that functionality. Are there any
issues that I need to be aware of?

Thanks for listening and for any advice that you may be able to offer.

--
Brian Schang