cable box distribution - amplifier needed?

Hi,

I would like to set up my cable box to distribute the signal back to a
central panel (already wired) and out to other TVs.  I do understand
that it will be distributing a single channel and all TVs will be
controlled by the single cable box.

Currently when I split the output from the cable box, and feed it back
into my distribution block, I get no signal out to the other TVs.  Do I
need an amplifier (installed at the cable source for the house)?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn S