Wiring a light to a phone

I am trying to create a phone tha will light instead of ring. I have an
old rotary phone and have disconnected the ringer. I have a mini 12v
lamp with leads and am trying to wire that to a phone line. I have a
splitter from the wall jack so that one line will go to the phone and
the other to the light. Is it possible to wire the light to the phone
line so it lights up when the phone rings? If so what is the best way?