Re: TV Lift

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 18:26:42 -0500, "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> IF you should decide to use a ready-made solution,
>> I can order Auton for you.  I don't advertise them
>> on my website.  If you want one let me know and I'll
>> pass it along at cost.
>
> I appreciate the offer but I know the cost!  That's *why*
> I want to build my own!!!!  My needs aren't necessarily
> for lifting heavy TV's (perhaps Auton will drop their prices
> when big CRT TV's become history) but for helping my
> arthritic parents access things like the dog dishes that
> are becoming harder and harder for them to do.

Understood.  I offered the stuff at cost because it's for assisting elderly.  My
folks are fortunate to be in relatively good health for 85 years old but my mom
is starting to have trouble reaching things in high cabinets.  She has a
condition that weakens the bones -- not osteoporosis.  My father doesn't have
good balance so he's afraid to use a ladder.  He recently started using a cane
after taking a nasty spill out on the lanai last year.  I've been contemplating
options to make things easier for them too but haven't come up with any viable
solutions.

> I think in this case, I can use a pantograph lift system because
> there's not much weight to a bowl of kibble but for
> others, I'll probably need a lift screw.
>
> What I'd really like is some system where all the low cabinets
> had some way of presenting their contents at waist height...

One thing that comes to mind is those systems that restaurants use to store
dishes.  They're spring loaded (I think) so that as each plate is removed the
next one rises to the surface.  Perhaps some variation on the method might work.

> Ever see those filing cabinet systems that operate on a
> carousel?  That's sort of the idea.

For dog food there's one other option.  Suppose rigged you a small, Lexan chute
over the dog's bowl.  The top would be at counter height and the bottom several
inches above the bowl.  Pour contents into the chute and they drop straight into
the bowl.  If you make it just right there won't be any spillage.  You might
have to fasten the bowl in place.  Not knowing how the location is arranged,
it's hard to tell exactly what would work.

> I've bought all sorts of pickup wands and graspers, but
> the ideal solution would be a shelf that slides forward
> and then up in each cabinet.  I know it's not immensely
> practical, but I can't think of any other way to restore
> access to the whole world of low shelves and cabinets.

I'm facing the same issue only with high cabinets.  My mother can reach the low
ones fine but the upper shelves in the kitchen pantry cabinets are 8' off the
floor.  She can't reach them without a step stool and I worry she'll fall off
the thing.

> My folks are determined to stay out of a retirement/nursing
> home as long as they can so I'm looking for creative ways
> to make that happen.

Same here.  They'll eventually hire a live-in to help them but for now they
really enjoy their independence.  We're considering bringing one of our home
staff back from Brazil while we're there.  She can care for my folks while we're
around but they need a full time solution.

Concerns over my parents make me feel a bit more tolerant of people like DH who
can't get around as easily as the rest of us.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.