Re: Video Survilance Suggestions?

Most color cameras do not do well with low light conditions.  Alot of them
have a builtin filter  that cuts off the infrared so it doesn't affect the
colors.  Since in most conditions, the correct color is important,  you
can't normally use them for low light or with infrared floodlights.   There
are some exceptions but I have never tried any.    I turn the cameras off at
sunset and back on again at sunrise.   That way I don't get alot of black
screens and wasted HD space when visitors try to take captures after dark.
Mostly those are not located in the US.    I keep a backup of 50 stills &
videos for each camera so that saves a huge amount of disk space.   The
AVI's take about 5k of space for every second of movie time.  That adds up
fast with 12 cameras.

I originally started with the B&W cameras but quickly changed after seeing
the difference.   Recognition is much better with color, in my opinion.

I do have a couple of B&W cameras that I will be installing inside the
garage for use in no visible light conditons.  Since it will be a fixed view
and nothing normally changes, it really won't make a big difference.   I am
doing this since the garage is about 100' from the house.  Cameras will be
tripped when either of the two vehicle doors or the entrance door is opened.

--

Don

www.k9soa.net

Home of JEANNIE
The House That Listens
As appeared on HGTV
 and in Home Automation, Kentucky Living magazines

Have some fun and come visit and turn my lights on and off.

Over 10,000 visitors since January 2005
Over 25,000 since May 2003