Re: Rozetta... just a flash in the pan?

Clark,

Right now it's in between "actuality" & "pipe dream". I'm still working on
it but have run into one brickwall after another (some of my own
construction, some not). There were problems with how ZBasic addressed the
software UART buffers which took a bit of time to iron out. There are
ongoing problems with downloading firmware to the ZX chips. I had decided on
Lantronix XPort as the optional network interface but then discovered it can
only send email to a server on the local network.

I then designed another board to use NetMedia's Siteplayer Telnet module
only to find the 4x6P4C connector I had planned to use is not readily
available. Until about 10 days ago Mouser said it was on order and would be
in stock by late June. They now say it's not stocked and has an 18 week
leadtime.

So, I totally redesigned the board yet again to use a readily available
3x6P4C connector and am waiting for a batch to arrive from China - hopefully
in 5-6 days.

The new board will use the Tibbo EM202 as the [optional] network interface.
It's programmable in a Basic dialect and has no email restrictions (aside
from any authentication issues that may vary from ISP to ISP). Initially, I
plan to just use it as a serial server but it will be possible to program it
for email, to connect to Internet Time Servers, and have a web server.

I'm still concerned about the ZBasic firmware download issue so have
redesigned around the cheaper ZX-40 chip ($40 vs. $60) on the premise that
people may be $20 less p*ssed at me should there still be problems.

There's also a dearth of software for linking/delinking Insteon devices. I
had hoped to leave this to other software since the board will have very
limited memory but it looks like I will have to incorporate it.

The new board also will have provisions for an internal RF (or IR) receiver
module. I had to increase the board size because of the larger ZX-40 and
larger EM2002 so there is space to fit these additional components.

Bottom line though is that its still a couple of months away.