[no subject]

$55 item 131 0949 USB over CAT5 Extender W/ 4-pt Hub, Extends To 150ft

I've used one with multiple USB 1.1 devices and it seems to work fine.

First application for me is to move the INSTEON USB 2414U
interface/controller to the Powerline Playground  near the AC entrance
panel where the X-10 CM11a used to be www.ECOntrol.org/x-10.htm while
leaving the HA PC controller where _it's_ supposed to be.  (The INSTEON
2414S RS-232 interface/controller is still problematic under HomeSeer in
my experience.)

These USB extenders will also allow me to move PC's to the basement --
where they will be more secure, quieter and run cooler -- but still have
keyboards, mice, webcams w/ mics, etc. And fewer PC's will be needed. This
presumes that one can/has run ample CAT5 ...

Prices and performance of DVI- and nVGA-over CAT5 are improving also but
still more expensive than analog XVGA splitter-amp + high-quality analog
cables.

Reasonably prices USB 2.0 extenders ($22 item 131 0891 from cyberguys and
other places) still seem limited to 16 feet. I've used two in series OK.
ABIK, USB 2.0 over CAT5 for longer distances still costs $hundreds.

HTH ... Marc

Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org