Re: I think they've done it again.

news:449e6206.210894546@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<stuff snipped>

> You're right!
>
> The person who first referenced it said it was a "year old thread". When I
> looked, I saw a year old date and so took it to be older than it is. The
> actual date of a post doesn't jump right out.

Yes, the actual date of the post seems to be a secondary data item (although
not to me!) and I really believe that when I went there the first time the
only date showing *was* the poster's "join date."  Maybe if someone enters
the thread from a URL cite and not from the top of the forum some date var
doesn't init properly.

> However, in one post "SmarthomeJohn" says they found it was the triac
while
> in another he says they found it was the choke. I would reserve judgement.

Ah, yes, his credibility gap.  :-)  To be precise, he blamed the "traic" and
made some other comments that led me to believe he was *not* a part of
either the design team or the debugging team.  Perhaps prepending "Smart" to
someone's name doesn't necessarily make it so!  I'm assuming, based on
flimsy data to be sure, that he meant "noise is leaking into the "traic"
because of a bad choke."

My vote is for bad choke because that's an explanation consistent with
enough garbage on the powerline to effect other manufacturer's dmmers.  The
potential for HA gear to interfere with old-style dimmers has been noticed,
on occasion, with X-10, specifically with the CM11A.  I don't recall if a
probable cause was determined, though, other than "noise on the line."

The differences in the behaviors reported (flickering, blinking and
flashing) for the SwitchLinc V2's might have to do with whether the choke
has failed completely.

> Anyways, I got my latest roZetta boards so I'll be busy with that and will
> not have time for much else.

Yes.  Get back to that grindstone and grind!

"Keep thinking Butch, that's what you're good at!"  :-)

--
Bobby G.