Re: X-10 Mister House Motion sensor problems

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 11:48:42 -0400, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<BM2dnQrdKs0kBBTZnZ2dnUVZ_qWdnZ2d@xxxxxxx>:

>"Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message >
><ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>

>What, exactly, is so wrong about the Ocelot/ADI method of HA?  I've seen
>top-notch Ocelot installations (at least photos of them) and they seem no
>way inferior to the Elk way of doing things.  In fact, their
internetworking
>capabilities make them superior for the kind of HA work I want to do.  You
>just have to love C-Max and ladder logic and to able to forget everything
>you know about structured programming.  Well, that's hyperbole again, but
by
>now the whole world know's I am very hyperbolic.
>
>If I were to give bad marks to the Ocelot/ADI entry, it wouldn't be
>something I could easily correct at "enclosures'R'Us.com" it would be the
>nastiness of programming the bugger.  I'm not sure what a pure, hardware
>independent HA programming language should look like, but C-Max is not it.
>I'll know it when I see it.  HomeSeer and CharmedQuark each come close on a
>number of fronts, but from different directions.

Only a minuscule fraction of the world has ever heard of you. Many of those
that have have done so through this newsgroup. Since you are concerned about
tone and record (refer to your own your recent post), do consider that the
vast majority of folks may actually think that you mean what you write.

+++++++++++++++++++

The "nastiness of programming the [Ocelot] bugger" in CMax is shared by the
difficulty of programming the Elk MM443 in SIMPLE (another proprietary PIC
compiler). Difference was/is that:

1) There were one or more partisans in c.h.a  that would recommend the
Ocelot to folks without any idea of whether or not they would *ever* be able
to do *anything* with it. Without programming, the Ocelot does nothing.

2) The  SIMPLE language for the MM443 (CMAX equivalent) could be elegantly
avoided by using CyberHouse which  allowed/s for development of rules in
three ways (wizard, point and click and ASCII text editor ) within the
CyberHouse user environment that were the same as the way that rules were
easily written in CyberHouse for PC control of stuff  except that when you
were done, CyberHouse would compile the rules to PIC machine code and
automagically download to the PIC in the MM443S.

This is all well-plowed ground in c.h.a. But IMO it illustrates how
'partisanship" can be a disservice to participants, particularly folks new
to HA and the newsgroup.

Tedious topic (for me) ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org