First to build the XTB from a kit...!

Hello everybody!

When I read the thread about the XTB, I was instantly excited!

I must have more signal-suckers than ANYBODY, and my X10 reliability was
very poor. So I pretty much yanked all my X10 (watch for it on eBay
someday...) and replaced it with Insteon.

All my outdoor lighting uses X10 wall-outlet modules. I guess I'm
speaking of the SuperSocket SR227...

Also I have the X10 dual floodlight motion sensor. PR511...?

Since there are no Insteon equivalents (yet), I'm forced to keep them X10.

So I quickly decided to buy Jeff's XTB. Brute force sounded like just
what I needed.

I found out that the PCBs were late to arrive, but the parts were
already kitted. It would take longer to get one if I ordered completed
units so I decided to go kit. And if one is good, two is better! With
the money I saved, the second was a real bargain, etc, etc. I
rationalized it, then placed my order.

Jeff assembled one before sending out any. Make sure there were no
surprises, etc. He updated the product since the two he sent out for
review: he replaced a couple diodes with Schottky type...

Satisfied he sent mine out on Monday (from New Jersey) via Priority
Mail. I live on the opposite coast in Oregon, and I got them today.

It went together easily, and the PCB was of very high quality. The
silkscreen was also very good. I was unsure of one component, so I
emailed for help. The answer came quickly and it turned out I had it
right all along.

He also informed me I was the first person to complete one of these from
kit!!

Oh yeah: While awaiting delivery Jeff alerted me that the change he had
made required an additional component change. R9 was a 51-ohm, now it
should be a 10-ohm instead. 5 for a buck at my local Radio Shack!

Knowing this I had the corrected value on hand for today, and
substituted it on the first build.

How does it preform? Well I haven't had time to give it a battery of tests.

I can say it seems to work great!

My driveway floodlights are M11. With a palm pad I could control it
(through the many 751's around the place.) But if I try using a
Maxi-controller the signal doesn't get there.

Plug the same Maxi-controller into the XTB, then back into the same plug...

NOW the signal got there! Brute force? Works for me...!

More later, as I learn more.

For NOW, all I can say is I endorse the product - and the man. Jeff has
it going on...

Thanks to this newsgroup without which I would not even KNOW about the XTB.

Thanks to Jeff for the concept, and bringing this fine product to
market! Kudos!!

Buy yours. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I will warn that this is an advanced kit and you need skills to build
it. He engineered it well, and it went together easily. Keep in mind
I've been doing electronics all my life. It was a tightly packed joy to
build but if you have ANY doubts - order it assembled and tested.

Jack
:)