Re: My Latest Cool DIY Automation FACT

Did some performance testing/optimization of my PPC skins so I can get this
to be a highly usable system. Can't do a heckuva lot here at home, as I get
crappy cellphone coverage inside the house [all the plaster/lathe kills
cellphone signals].  Pretty remarkable how much space even small images take
up, though. I was able to cut download time of the first page I tried from
17 seconds to <3 seconds, and more impressively the 2nd one from 79 seconds
to 11 seconds!

CAVEAT: This is a sample set of 1 run, in my current location with the crap
cellphone coverage. I'm going to try again tomorrow if that pesky work thing
doesn't get in my way.

To load this page via the DotNetViewer over Cingular/EDGE via my dynamic DNS
took 17 seconds. If I've calculated correctly, and if 5 copies of the same
10K image means 50K of bandwidth, then this page is about 70K. That
generally squares up with the 5-10Kbps I was seeing over EDGE, if you
consider the signal in my house is greatly impacted and no cellphones
usually work.
http://www.myhometheaterpc.com/screenshots/PPC/PPC_Home.jpg

To load this page with no images took just under 3 seconds. There's no
images, so it's about 2K. [just the size of the template]
http://www.myhometheaterpc.com/screenshots/PPC/PPC_Home_Text.jpg

Then we get truly dramatic.
To load this page took 79 seconds. I believe this page is about 125K.
http://www.myhometheaterpc.com/screenshots/PPC/PPC_Motion.jpg

Cutting out all the images, bringing it down to about 5K took 11 seconds. I
had to add a TON of state-based rules processing in order to show/hide text
fields, I may see if there's another option there which would likely cut
that time further.
http://www.myhometheaterpc.com/screenshots/PPC/PPC_Motion_Text.jpg

I'll keep plugging away. Hopefully I can get everyone working in the <7
second timeframe, which would make this thing dang usable.