Re: Insteon now or wait?

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 10:51:50 -0400, "Bill Stock" <me7@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
in message  <4iesc7F3fpi3U1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>My X10 setup has been going to hell in a hand-basket over the past year,
>lights not responding, sending one code and getting another (?) and
>motion  sensor lights (hardwired) turning on during the day when they
>should not. A  lot of these problems are due to new CFL lights, but I'm
>also starting to  suspect my Ocelot is acting up, although it says it's
>fine. As for sending  one code and getting another, it' either some code
>hidden somewhere I've  forgotten about or a wonky coupler/repeater.
>Either way I'm going to have to  spend some time and $$s to get it
>working again.
>
>So I thought I might replace some of the X10 modules with Insteons to try
>and improve the CFL problems. But the Insteons only repeat Insteon codes,
>not X10 codes. So unless I have a Translator for the Ocelot I don't see
>much  value in upgrading now. I did check the Smarthome site for a
>translator, but  it looks like it was never produced.

Consider these $$-free preliminaries:

1) Review your Ocelot CMAX  code for bugs/unintended instructions
2) Check under the sofa cushions for misplaced remotes ;-)
3) Make a schematic (= map; = circuit diagram) of your home's AC wiring.

With an accurate circuit diagram in hand, you may find that you can
partition your powerline control (PLC) devices (X-10, A-10, INSTEON, UPB)
in such as a way as to

1) isolate and test issues such as 'incompatible' CFL's
2) improve performance by finding signal-degrading components.
3) isolate X-10 on one phase and (eg) INSTEON on the other.

Since you presumably have non-dimmable CFL's, you can safely disregard the
chatter in this newsgroup about flickering problems if you switch to
INSTEON wall _switches_  (not dimmers). The switches use relays, not
semiconductors and don't flicker. They are in stock and cost no more than
$24.99 each http://www.smarthome.com/2876sb.html.

So if you start by replacing the CFL's with INSTEON switches, the
discussion about INSTEON dimmers is not a reason to wait (IMO). It should
also be noted that if you limit the use of the existing supply of INSTEON
dimmers (which come with either two- or seven-year warranties in any case)
to 200 watts or less, based on all the evidence I've seen including
Smarthome statements, and on my own experience,  you won't have flicker
problems.

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org