Re: What can I replace this latching relay system with?

On 26 Jul 2006 13:57:14 -0700, "Steve Wechsler" <swechsler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <1153947433.681787.299640@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Just purchased a house built in the early 50s. Almost all the lights
>are controlled by latching relays, with low voltage switches in the
>walls connected to the relays in the ceiling boxes with 3 conductor
>cable (there are also some relay-controlled outlets, and I haven't yet
>figured out where the relays are for those). There is a central
>transformer, connected to each switch by additional two conductor wires
>(no idea if they are daisy chained or home run, but I assume the
>former). There are also a couple of remote multi-function switches,
>which have a knob that allow you to choose one of 10 or so different
>relays to control, along with a switch that turns the remote fixture on
>or off. I assume the remote is wired directly to the remote relays
>using more 3 conductor cable. Most wiring is similar to what we used to
>call rotor cable (for wiring up TV antenna rotors), but some is simply
>three solid conductor wires twisted together.
>
>Anyway, I'd like to replace this sytem with something a bit more
>modern. Although all the relays work (one or two are starting to give
>me a little trouble), I'd like to have the ability to dim lights, and
>even better, set up some automated controls. Is there any system that
>will allow me to use the existing wiring infrastructure? The walls are
>plaster so I don't want to tear them apart.
>
>Please respond in the newsgroup.

Some thoughts:

1) There is a yahoo group dedicated to GE Low Voltage (GELV) which may be
what you have (What you describe matches what I've seen in a GE home in
Cincinnati). I believe that folks in this group track availability of
replacement parts. They may also have some tips on retrofits.

2) Three wires (more or less regardless of insulation, gauge and twisted
or not ) is adequate for local up/down dimmer controls (2 SPST with common
hot). They might also prove adequate for Dallas  1-wire  protocol
http://www.maxim-ic.com/1-Wire.cfm . So the low-voltage part of your
infrastructure can be recycled, although it might involve some home brew.
Low speed, 1-way serial control RS-232/485 is also within reach and 2-way
is possible with the addition of local dc power or a parasitic mode.

3) Presumably you want to modernize from on-off relay switching to
dimmers. I'd check into Centralite www.centralite.com as a good option
that could recycle your AC wiring. www.Homeseer.com has announced that
they will be supporting Centralite in the near future.

I have some stuff on homebrew hard-wired lighting including DMX512 at
www.ECOntrol.org, but that server will be down until the weekend.

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org