Re: Insteon now or wait?

Not to get into a whole legal debate, but they do disclaim any implied
warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

But let's look at the real issue: Flickering - which I think we can all
agree is somewhat less egregious than bouts of cardiac arrhythmia!

 First, let me describe exactly what constitutes a flicker - at least in
my installation - which is the only one I have experience with.  When an
Insteon signal is transmitted, some lights, described more fully below,
may brighten to full intensity for maybe 100ms - less than the blink of
an eye - and return to normal.  Multiple signals may cause multiple
'flashes' which is probably a more accurate word than 'flicker.'

 As many here know I have about 50 Insteon devices installed now being
controlled primarily by a JDS TimeCommander through a (for now) 2414X
translator (beta version).  Most of the devices control incandescent
lighting and most are dimmed.  The flicker only occurs when Insteon
signals are transmitted and only at loads that contain multiple
incandescent bulbs that are already dimmed.  Each of the affected loads
add up to 200 or more watts.  Single bulb dimmed loads, like my desk
lamp, and larger non-dimmed loads never flicker or flash.

 At most, I have 4 wall switches that demonstrate the problem due to the
larger loads attached to them.  The LEDs in all the switches, modules
and Keypadlincs also flicker when signals are received but I actually
consider that to be a useful diagnostic "feature."  Other than the
flickering (and the modules subject to safety recall) I am satisfied
that these products are performing properly.  There is no MAJOR defect,
and certainly not one that affects every light in the house or seriously
impedes the utility of the system as a whole.

So, will I rip out all 50 and replace them? No. Instead I'll exchange
the ones that are controlling the larger loads (as well as the recalled
units) and be done with it.  I will however, ask Smarthome if they will
agree to a free warranty extension on the units that I do not replace.
That would seem like a fair compomise that would save them having to
replace them all today - or perhaps ever - and give me peace of mind
that I can if and when I need to. If they don't agree to that then I
MIGHT, over the term of the regular warranty, replace them all.

 I really can't fault Smarthome for continuing to sell units while they
were working on the problem. Most people will not be controlling and
dimming larger loads so I think it's fair to say that less than one in
ten will actually need upgrading.  Rather than fault them for not
stopping sales completely, I think they should be commended for
modifying existing stock rather than just selling it off and replacing
the possible 10% that might come back as returns.

 BTW, modifying a product after initial manufacture but prior to first
sale does not constitute refurbishment or remanufacture.  It is still,
in every way under the law, a brand new product.  I had personal
experience in this matter where an initial batch of telecom products we
produced in China needed modification here prior to sale. We had about
10,000 pieces and gathered up teams of employees, their families and
friends to spend three weeks of nights and weekends making the change
and repackaging them.  Our attorney advised us that the product was
still considered brand new and in no way needed to be called anything
else. As modified, they were still unused, first quality goods in every
respect.