Re: No dailtone on the third floor...

The second jack could be a number of things or nothing.

You should look behind the plates to find out.

As someone else said, it could be a 2nd line.  I did that  in some common
areas of the house for a friend who had two lines.  The top jack was line 1
(her line) and the lower one was line 2 (her roommates),

I have one by my computer where both are the same line.  Just avoiding a
line splitter there.

If one is not the same size as the other, it is likely to be a computer
network.

---

Regarding your third floor:  It probably isn't connected to the same line.
Again, look behind the plate to see what wires are connected.
It could be set up for a 2nd line or just not connected somewhere else.

Phones can be wired either from a common point or daisy chained (in ->
jack -> jack -> jack -> jack -> etc), or some combination of the two.

My townhome (early 70s) was wired as a daisy chain of 6 pair (2 pairs per
phone line in that era, 2nd pair was to power dial lights) cable.  Any room
could have had any combination of three phone lines.

--
Bill Fuhrmann