Re: What can I replace this latching relay system with?

"Steve Wechsler" <swechsler@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It seems like what you're suggesting is that I replace the wired
> switches with wireless...is that correct?

The problem you're going to have is that, as I understand it, you don't have
120vac at your switch locations, so none of the PLC systems are going to
work.

Pulling new Cat5 to switch locations, even in a plaster/lathe house
shouldn't be too difficult if you have attic and crawlspace.  If you could
get 120vac to your switch locations, you could use a PLC switch there, and
then use inline modules in the ceilings. It could get pretty tight, though.

I wonder if it would be possible to dream up a hack for an inline dimming
module that would allow for hardwired up/down commands?

Perhaps a very simple PWM dimmer could be designed to replace your relays,
and a PWM controller (a 555 with a pot?) could replace the switches?

How common is this old system? A plug-and-play replacement might be worth
designing by someone smart, if they could make a few bucks. Or if they liked
the challenge.