Re: No dailtone on the third floor...

"Moon1990" <kevin.jasey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1151765669.811595.206090@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I have a newly renovated home with cat5 cable run throughout (all
> homeruns).  I get a dailtone from at least one of the rj45 jacks in all
> my coverplates on the first and second floors but no dailtone at any of
> my rj45 jacks on the third floor.  Could anyone tell my why this could
> be?  How do I get a dailtone up there?
>
> I've never done any stripping of telephone cable or wire punching but
> from my research this seems pretty strait forward with the right tools
> and if you are not color blind.
>
> And in most of my coverplates I have two rj45 jacks.  One is obviously
> for telephone but what could the other rj45 be used for?
>
> Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Depending on what kind of dialtone you have, perhaps you need more
electrical pressure to get it up to the third floor?

Are jacks rated for their altitude?  Do you need a RJ55 or RJ65?

Obviously, two jacks are needed when you have a daughter.

We have cat2 running throughout our house at times.  Cat1 is too old, and
just hisses at cat2.

Sorry - too much solder fumes...

Jeff