Re: Home IR Control

"Frank Mc Alinden" wrote:

<stuff snipped>

> Hi Bobby
>
> I use my own Homebrew design which connects to my Homevision
> unit.....It can be setup as a basic repeater system if required
> although designed as a zoned system for Homevision ....In my setup  my
> system  can inform Homevision which zone the ir signal originated
> from.....(i use this feature to control my cbus lighting )

That's a nice feature.  I've been looking at the specs for the Ocelot's
zoned IR module at it looks like I'd need that plus a relay module to really
zone both input and output.   Right now there are only three places we need
remotes to control the main video feed in the LR, the basement, the bedroom
and the kitchen.

Knowing the origin zone can help determine occupancy, too.  I'm really
struggling with how to design a personalized HA system that doesn't involve
planting RF chips in people.  :-)

I found something called the MIT Occupancy Sensor at www.bik.com that might
be helpful.  The problem I have with SAF is that X-10 gear will plunge
people into darkness if they stop moving.  Your system feature reminded me
that if I am going to keep the lites from going out, I need to monitor
things like IR activity in a room.

I wonder if a strain gauge mounted on the top of a floor jack that touched
the bottom of a joist in the basement would be sensitive enough to tell that
there's a human's worth of weight on the floor above?

> Homevision can tell my system which zone to send ir to....
> Its based around 38khz...
> Its also  a cat5 based system.....

Zone based is nice.  I think it's becoming a "must have" feature as I read
up on IR control.  CAT5's the way to go, too, although I see some sites
using DB9 connectors and serial cables to build their IR net.  Too clumsy!

> http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/page7.html

"The Busy led is quite useful as it indicates to users in All zones that ir
is being transmitted by someone and therefore not to send ir until the red
led extinguishes."

That's another nice feature.  I've found the the ControlLinc Maxi's busy
light keeps me from "stepping on" another X-10 transmission more than once.
Good job, mate!  I like the design, too.  I find that since buying an
EZ-crimp, I use CAT5 for everything.  I just buy colored cable to make sure
I keep the intercom separate from the phone separate from the LAN, etc.

Thanks for the info.  What's the conversion rate between AU and US these
days?

--
Bobby G.