plugging an appliance module into a lamp module?

I'm thinking about plugging an appliance module into a lamp module, so
that i can effectively get a dim-on effect.

That is, starting w/ the appliance module off, I would send an on
signal to the lamp module, dim the lamp module to 0%, send an on signal
to the appliance module, then brighten the lamp module to whatever
brightness i wanted at whatever rate i wanted.

the lamp module would be plugged into the wall, next would come the
appliance module, and finally the lamp itself.

What i'm wondering is
1) will this work, or will the lamp module chop the x10 signal when
dimming, such that the appliance module never sees it
2) is there a risk of damaging the appliance module by sending it the
dimmed signal (i know you shouldn't plug a lamp module into a lamp
module, since you're putting two dimming circuits in a row, but i don't
know if there are any issues with an appliance and a lamp)
3) will this not work at all since the lamp module won't have a closed
circuit when the appliance module is off (but maybe the appliance
module current sensing will provide enough of a complete circuit)

obviously for #1 i can just try it and see, but first i'd like a little
reassurance that i won't fry a module or start a fire if i leave it
that way overnight, etc.

i know, people are going to point me to lamp modules that have preset
dim options and the ability to come on at zero brightness, ramp up, etc
etc, i'm just wondering if this is something i can do with what i've
got.