Re: Insteon Compatability with X-10

Read through Bruce Robin's thread(s) named...

     Insteon Transmitter
     Insteon Translator (title corrected from transmitter)

He is using a (beta) Insteon translator that sits on the powerline and
repeats *some* X-10 codes as Insteon and vice versa. The translator needs to
be programmed for the codes you want it to translate and you need to provide
delays (if used in macros) to prevent collisions.

There are others who are working on devices that act like a TW523 on the TTL
side but send/receive Insteon on the PLC side. These will let existing
devices designed to use a TW523 work with Insteon devices. Whether they will
be sophisticated enough to send one or the other depending on programming
will probably depend on the manufacturer.

Note that the compatibility has some limitations. Simultaneous X-10 and
Insteon signals will collide and be seen as garbage by both systems. All
Insteon devices are two-way so they act as X-10 signal sinks. This means
that the more Insteon devices you use, the less reliable your X-10 devices
will be. Since you are building new, you can go 100% Insteon and ingnore
these issues.