Re: Quantech Appcon kit - UK

"Dave Saville" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> ISTR it was about 50GBP for the controller about nine years ago.

That's unfortunate because the cost of a spare would have been way less than
anything you're going to put together to replace it.  You've inspired me to
re-evaluate my own spares policy, particularly concerning devices that
spiderweb through the house.  They are likely to take induction hits from
nearby lightning strikes, etc.

> <snip>
>
> >Tell us more about the sensors and other devices you have hooked to your
> >network.  It sounds like the Dallas 1 Wire components might make suitable
> >replacement sensors if you're determined to reuse your existing code.
>
> There are temp sensors, Open/Close sensors and mains switching up to a
couple
> of hundred watts - Fine for central heating pumps etc. I have one of the
> open/close boards in front of me and apart from resistors etc it has two
chips
> a ST93C46CB1 94E440 & a PIC16C54C 9919HAJ whatever they do :-)

I'm not sanguine about any of these items being reusable.  When you say
Open/Close sensors are you talking about valves, windows, doors or what?

> <snip>
> >
> >What type of loads are you switching and what do you use keypads for?
It
> >will help determine what type of replacements would be suitable.
>
> As above - couple of hundred watts at most. Keypad is to give commands to
the
> system from living area - Change heating levels etc. One of the tricks I
got it
> to do which the wife loved was as the PC is also our answer machine she
could
> type a code on the keypad and it would play back the messages over its
sound
> system. I also use text to voice so the system responded with voice to
commands
> and status readouts.

Pretty easy to replace but probably not at a price you're going to like.

> >> What ever happens I want to retain the control software that I wrote
> >myself. It
> >> is extremely flexible and other bits of software on the PC hook into
it.

> >I'd say this is a very unrealistic expectation given that it's not likely
> >you'll find a replacement board.  What language is it written in?  What
are
> >functions are tied into the system?  Porting isn't that difficult for
some
> >languages.
> >

> It's C - it has hooks that feed data both ways to other programmes. For
example
> a CGI script can query variables in the program on the fly and say put the
> current temperature on a web page. There are functions that depend on it
being
> dark or not. I run a perl script that calculates sunrise/sunset and pumps
the
> two times into the control system. So the garage door sensor will turn the
> lights on if it is dark but not in the daytime. I am sure it would work
with a
> different system. As long as *something* can read temperatures and switch
> states and turn mains on and off then the control logic should be fine.

The problem I see is that most of the controllers that would replace your
unit have their own programming languages.  Your control logic could be
ported to a new system, but not without a lot of rewriting, I fear.

> I have an electronics clued up friend and he has gotten the board power
supply
> sorted that had been giving problems, but sadly it looks as though
something
> else is broken as polling the RS232 interface does not even give an echo!
Ho
> Hum.

Obviously your best bet is to fix that board or find a replacement.  Good
luck!

--
Bobby G.