Re: Detecting where a coax cable goes to

On 21 Jan 2006 15:38:48 -0800, bruno.lerer@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I have what I think is an unsual question which I couldn't find an
>answer to: in my attic there is a coax splitter with several coax
>outputs to coax cables which snake into the ceiling and disappear in
>the boweles of the house. They are all of the same color and have no
>identifying marks.  In the house itself, there are coax jacks in
>several rooms.
>
>And now the question: is there a way to determine, without buying
>expensive equipment, which cable in the attic leads to which room?
>Since not all coax jacks in the rooms are connected to a tv, it's not
>just a matter of disconnecting one cable after another from the
>splitter and seeing which tv loses its signal

Unless there is a complet floor in the attic, I would follow the wires
into the ceiling, lifting the insulation a bit until I find where they
go down into a wall, from the top.  In the attic, a wall looks like
the broad side of a 2x4.  The wire is not likely to stray too much
once it heads into the wall.   The ones you can't trace this way, you
can trace with the other methods given.

Remove NOPSAM to email me.  Please let
me know if you have posted also.