Re: Home IR Control

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Well, I do have that little pen/PC oscilloscope from RatShack.  IIRC, it
>wasn't suitable for 110VAC work, but it might be useful for this.

Probably not - I suspect its sampling rate is too low for some of the higher
carriers. If so, you'll get a signal but its frequency will be that of the
highest sampling rate.

>So, I assume this means an Ocelot is more likely to be able to transmit a
>code with a carrier outside the 32-40kHz range than it would be able to
>recognize such a code.  I assume, then, it means the code is actually
>programmed via numbers rather than learned in the traditional way.  This is
>probably a good thing because I am seeking to use the Ocelot to generate IR
>that these oddball devices would recognize - probably in response to an IR
>code from the UR24A 8-in-1 remote which I know the Ocelot can read without
>problem.

With its native Vishay IR receiver it can only recognize carriers in the
32-40kHz range. It also has a limit on the maximum number of transitions it
can record. Some of the Japanese A/C remotes exceed this limit.

The Ocelot learns in the same way as your CPU-XA. It can only learn what the
IR receiver gives it which is a carrier-less (i.e. demodulated) data
envelope. It assumes 36kHz carrier because the IR receiver is rated for
36kHz.

The TSOP1100 will respond to a wider range of carriers but it also outputs
only the demodulated signal. There is no carrier info.

>I'm worried that I own four of them because they are unlearnable by the
>UR24A, even after it has had its memory erased.

That might be because of the carrier or the number of transitions.

>I've been reading through the ADI IR forums slowly but surely.  IIRC, it
>looks as if you can plug in a remote IR receiver which I assume means
>bypasses the older, internal unit in the Ocelot with a new one that might
>even be CFL resistant.
>
>> BTW, if you replace the IR receiver inside the ADI devices (or build your
>> own plug-in unit) with the TSOP1100 you can receive a much wider range of
>> carriers *BUT* you still need to know the carrier for playback as the
>> firmware assumes ~36kHz.

I think the plug-in is in parallel with the internal unit but, in effect, it
bypasses it.

>I think I will look at building my own plug-in unit (although I think
>Worthington sells one pretty cheaply) that's CFL resistant because the
>Ocelot will not be where it can see any remotes.
>
>Would I be able to interface the circuitry from the
>
>http://sevinsky.20m.com/ha/ir.html
>
>site with the Ocelot's IR input jack or would I be better off just doing it
>optically via the IR net's light output into the Ocelot's sensor?

NO! NO! NO! NO! That's the problem with sites like that. By the time the
smoke clears, the evidence is gone. Stick with optical isolation if you
don't understand the reason for "NO! NO! NO! NO!".

>> Maybe you can get Jeff Volp to experiment with the TSOP1100 as a plug-in
>> IR receiver for ADI.
>
>Sshh!  I'm hoping he's locked in his basement shop working on the world's
>best X10 RF receiver.  I'll go bother the guys in the ADI forum with this.

Nah! I already have "the world's best X10 RF receiver." I'm working on
teaching it UPB and a few other dialects.