Need programmable LCD touchpad

Instead of using the X10 or Insteon wall keypads, what I really want
is a nice, compact LCD panel/touchpad that I mount on the wall and
then program to display status messages and send control signals,
without the expense of a full-featured product like the Leopard II.

It would just be a small LCD that I could program from my PC to
display certain strings and have certain regions "active" so that my
PC would "know" what button was pressed.  I could send and receive
data from a controlling PC via IP or RS485 serial, I don't really care
as long at it works.  I could then translate the inputs into the
appropriate X10 commands on the back-end, rather then needing the
control pad to have that kind of intelligence.

My goal is to have a small, discreet LCD touchpad in each room as the
"interface" to my home automation, and no I will not buy a Leopard
because that would be massive overkill for what I need.

Has anyone else thought of a solution to this one?  I can't beleve
it's just me who's thought about this.

Thanks, as always.

 Richard S. Smith / Email: rss@xxxxxxxxx / Web: http://www.rssnet.org/