Outdoor temperature sensor . . .`

Hello All,

I googled it, but can't find an answer.

I've got an "Atomic Clock" (La Crosse brand) which has an outdoor
temperature sensor. It seemed to be working OK, then the outdoor temperature
stopped working. I replaced the batteries in the sensor, and the clock, and
left the clock off for a few minutes to reset, then went through the proper
procedure to restart the clock by having the temp sensor going, then
restarting the clock, waiting for it to read the outdoor temperature before
setting the time, etc. I tried this a few times.

Finally said to heck with it, removed the batteries from the remote sensor,
and put the sensor in a drawer. (Just rechecked: the sensor has no batteries
in it.)

Well, for the past few weeks, with no sensor, the clock (OK, technically not
the "clock" ha) has been saying the outdoor temperature is around 73 degrees
all the time. Sometimes there's just dashes, but most of the time it says 73
degrees. Sometimes it's 72, sometimes it's 74, but it's always around
73.There is no other sensor around here, according to the other people in
the house.

What could be causing this? I'm befuddled. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,
Ned