Need help with irrigation controller and valve!

Hi folks, I hope this is the right place for this...

I have an outdoor Hunter Pro-C controller installed, and I recently replaced
the 'brain' and the transformer.  My system is very simple with only one
valve.

When I try to turn on watering, the controller displays 'ERR' and the valve
does not function.

These are the things I checked out first -- I disconnected the wires at the
valve and got out my meter.

1)  Checking for shorts in the valve solenoid -- I get 1.7 ohms on my meter
2)  Checking for shorts in the wiring up to (and including) the
controller -- I get 0 ohms on my meter

One thing I noticed is that the transformer has one ground wire (green) and
two hot wires (yellow) but only one of them seems to be hot!  The
transformer is by Hunter and is supposed to output 24 VAC.  My meter says
26.5 V on one yellow wire and 0 on the other.  This doesn't seem right, can
anyone comment?

I've considered temporarilly hooking in the indoor power adapter instead of
the transformer to see what happens -- haven't done this yet.

Anything else I should check out?

Thanks, Dan