Re: Best brand coax and F connector for HD cable?

Did the cable guy install this, or did you pick it up? If you picked up
the box and installed it yourself, how were the pictures before you got
the cable box? Generally, if you have good analog pictures (I know
that's a highly subjective statement), digital signals should work just
fine. However, if you notice a big difference between analog and
digital picture quality (look for noise in the picture, kinda like VHS
versus DVD), or the analog pictures get worse as you flip to the higher
channels, it is likely you have signal problems, possibly due to bad
connectors, old/*mart splitters, or other junk in the house. If a cable
guy came out and installed the box, did he check the signal with his
meter? Was he a cable company employee or a contractor (if it was a
contractor, I'll guess the answer to the meter question was no).

If the cable company won't wall fish, you can get cable, with
connectors, from them. The best way is to flag down a cable guy in the
area and ask him. Most* of them should be happy to provide you with
some cable, but look for an installer, not a line tech (most line techs
are older, and may have a bucket truck and have a surly attitude from
years of not dealing with the public). The other option is to stop by
the local office, so long as there are technicians dispatched from
there. Try to go there in the morning or close to 5:00, as the girls at
the counter won't know what to do and will hopefully be able to get a
tech to make up a cable for you. There may be a charge, but I doubt it
will be more than what RS charges, and will be much better cable**.
Have a good idea of how long a pice you'll need, and add a few feet
just to make sure. Get a splitter if you need it as well. Get a
splitter with only the number of ports you need to minimize signal loss
(IE if you have 2 outlets, don't get an 4-way splitter. the extra 3 dB
loss can make all the difference).

Eric (a cable guy who lurks a lot)

*Make sure they are a cable company employee and not a contractor.
** Gave this advice to my dad, who was charged $7 for a 3 way splitter
and about 40 feet of coax, with digicon/equivalent ends.