Re: is x10.com dead?

"Bill Kearney" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:we6dnUszuNJ8n2nenZ2dnUVZ_sKdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> True, but all that jimcrackery doesn't mean shit if it still DOESN'T WORK
> RELIABLY.  I've got all those X-10 devices and if they actually WORKED
then,
> yeah, it'd be great!  But the sad fact is they don't.

Bill, you sound like one of those fellows who ran into a problem and just
gave up.  X10 DOES work.  It HAS worked for us with virtually 100%
reliability since the 70's.  Our system has grown to about two dozen Leviton
wall switches, half a dozen 16400s, a bunch of plug-in modules, and the
irrigation controller.  This is all run by an Ocelot.  The Leviton pre-set
dim commands work perfectly.  Even the plug-in dimmer modules work
perfectly.  They go through the brighten/dim cycle every night without a
glitch.

The only recent failure I can recall was one of our switched outlets broke
that plastic piece, and had to be replaced.  We have a whole-house surge
protector, so that probably helps.  Over the years I did have to replace a
few triacs in the dimmer modules that were popped when the controlled
lightbulb failed with a flash.  It's a cheap and easy fix.

Some people drive Chevys, some Caddys, and a few pay the big bucks for a
Ferrari.  They all require some level of maintenance to be reliable.  X10 is
like a Chevy.  If you learn how to drive, it does the job.  If something
craps out, run down to the local parts store and pick up a replacement for a
few bucks.  Not so with the Ferrari.  But the ride is sweet.  And boy, does
it give you bragging rights.

Jeff