Re: Wake On Lan over the Internet

In article <1140540704.285699.30430@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lucia.grassi@xxxxxxxx (Lucia) writes:
| I have a PC connected to the Internet via a Corega router
| (http://www.corega-international.com/4/54/273/chprd.html).
|
| I have been trying to wake up my PC from a remote location sending a
| WOL magic packet over the Internet.
|
| In my router I have added the following firewall service:
|
| Name: WOL
| Type: UDP
| Start port: 5850
| Finish port: 5850
|
| Then I have added the following incoming firewall rule:
|
| Service: I have selected the service I have previously created
| Action: allow always
| Comment: Wake On Lan
| Send to LAN Server: I have selected my PC (it is the only one connected
| to the router)
| WAN users: Any
| Log: Always
|
| When I send a Wake On Lan magic packet over the Internet with the
| Depicus tool (http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-gui.aspx)
| I am able to wake up my PC :-)
|
| But this works only within a certain amount of time that my PC has been
| switched off :-(

Probably until the router's ARP entry for the PC times out...

| After a while it does NOT work anymore.
|
| How is that and how can I fix it?

Add a static ARP entry to the router for the PC.  You might also want to
make the IP address of the PC static if it isn't already, though hopefully
if the router allows the firewall entry to point to the PC it understands
as much.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com