Re: Switching audio via an Ocelot and SECU's

"John W" <Don't_Spam_Me@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Have a look back at that post, I added some info about the relays the SECU
> uses - not power relays so I don't think that problem will be an issue?

I looked - I'm still not sure of the answer.  Am I missing something or can
you only search the ADI forum ONE topic forum at a time?   Is there anything
I can select, like the View | Current View | Show Replies to My Messages in
Outlook Express, that would show me which posts I have made that need a
response?  Is there any way to show the last 24 hours of activity rather
than clicking on "read today's new posts" at 12:01AM and being shown
nothing, even if there were 1000 posts in the previous 24 hours?  Did I
mention how much I dislike web fora?  Oy!

Back to the relay question.  I thought JC's commentsimplied the only way to
prevent contact corrosion is to use gold or silver cadmium plated contacts:

<<Power relays require a minimum of current through the contacts in order to
stay clean. Switching audio will eventually oxydize the contacts creating a
high resistance path.

Unless the contacts are Gold or bifurcated silver cadmium (yes I know it's
no longer environmentally safe), the average 10 A contact requires a minimum
of 100Ma at 5V to stay clean.Power relays require a minimum of current
through the contacts in order to stay clean. Switching audio will eventually
oxydize the contacts creating a high resistance path.>>

I'm going to try posting this question elsewhere after doing a little
research to make sure I pick the right components for this.  I hate "do
overs" when a little "pregame" research could have averted the problem.
This might even be more appropriate for you since you're connecting
higher-current relays to the SECU to handle more current than they can.
Hopefully the oxidation problem doesn't affect smaller relays like the ones
in the SECU but I'd hate to have to figure out how to clean them if they
ever did oxidize.

--
Bobby G.