Control Linc Maxi 4071 dilemma

The unit,

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php?productid=751&cat=19&page=1

(no affliiation or endorsement, just the first site that had a picture!)*

which allows for all house code pushbutton entry, has two modes.  A
programmed mode with the lid closed that allows the device to execute events
on any housecode and a mode with the lid opened that exposes all of the
individual house and unit code buttons, along with special programming
buttons.

The dilemma is that it's really an "either - or" type of device.  It's so
impractical to flip open the huge cover that the choices are really to
install it with the cover either closed or completely removed.

I'm going to investigate replacing the cover lid microswitch that activates
the special "dual purpose" keys with a pushbutton to operate like a shift
key.  Then I will try marking the keys that are active when the lid is
closed so that both modes of operation are available with the lid
permanently removed.  Ideally, those buttons should be illuminated from
behind to set them apart from their single-purpose brothers (are you
listening, Smarthome?) but I have yet to pop the case to see if that's even
remotely possible.

What sort of paint or marking method would make the "special" keys stand out
from the others and not rub off after a few encounters with greasy finger
tips?  I thought about burning little bumps into the center of each key with
a soldering iron, but I'm not sure I have the steady touch required.  It
would be nice to find some sort of spray paint that would adhere to the
chiclet-type rubber membrane surface because the lid would make a great
spray mask!

Any ideas on making membrane buttons stand out welcomed.  Also, the same
sort of buttons on my X-10 remotes lose their markings over time.  I love
the membrane type buttons like these because they are nearly impervious to
bio-goo but they do tend to rub off after a while.  The ON/OFF and
DIM/BRIGHT markings are just ghosts now, as are the X-10, VCR and CD
buttons, which are obviously the most frequently used.

Maybe a home-built laser and a surplus microtome and a micro-pantograph
should do the trick.

TIA,

--
Bobby G.

* These are the nice folks that will lend you a signal strength meter,
probably  assuming once you use it, you'll wonder how you managed your X-10
setup without it.

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php?productid=463&cat=0&page=1