Re: Best brand coax and F connector for HD cable?

"Rogue Petunia" <FakeAddress@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> Ever since I got a HD cable box and a plasma TV I have been having
> occasional signal loss (total loss of picture and audio, as well as failed
> DVR recordings due to signal loss).  I've exchanged the box and still have
> the problems, so I don't think it's the box.  Next, I will re-do the
> interior wiring to get rid of the 2 splits that exist and doing a straight
> homerun from exterior of building to cable box.
>
> The thing is, I don't own the installation tools for cutting a custom
length
> of quality cable and attaching connectors.  I don't want to buy Radio
Shack
> RG6 and a hex crimper. That's how the interior wiring was fashioned to
begin
> with 2 years ago, and if the wiring is the problem I want to fix it not
just
> replicate it.
>
> My local cable company, Time Warner, uses Beldon DuoBond III coax with PPC
> EX6 XL connectors.
>
> If I buy PPC EX6 XL and Belden coax, I must also buy the installation
tools
> (expensive for one time use).  On the other hand, there is this guy who
> makes up custom lengths of RG6 Quad Shield with Thomas & Betts Snap n Seal
> connectors.  Way less expensive for me than buying installation tools!
>
> So, to make a long question short, which would be better:
> 1.  Belden Duobond III with PPC EX6 XL connectors (must buy my own tools,
> over $70, plus $35 for cable)
> 2.  SCP quad shield with Thomas & Betts Snap n Seal connectors (can buy
from
> guy already made to length for $30)
> 3.  Perfect Vision quad shield with Thomas & Betts Snap n Seal connectors
> (can buy from guy already made to length for $30)
>
> I spent $2000 on the TV, so I'm not trying to cheap out here on the
wiring;
> just trying to make the right decision.
>
> Thanks.

First of all, on the signal loss every once in a while - - that's the
station that's doing that. It could be coming from the main network feed. It
is irritating and often happens at the worst possible time, but there's
nothing that can be done about it. We all feel your pain.

The T&B Snap-N-Seal connectors are excellent. Buy the SNSIT tool for $49.90
and be happy. You'll use it over and over again to extend runs to other
rooms or move signal outlets as furniture layouts change. Use that and the
HT302 stripper that Cable Guy posted links to on 2/24 at 7:12pm - - all good
stuff - - makes a professional job out of it. I threw away all the crimp
sleeve connectors I bought after I found the SNS type, and I replace the
crimps whenever I have to use cable that was put together in the old days.

The only problem that remains is cleaning the shield face in each connector
before screwing it on tight. I made a small circular wire brush out of brass
tubing and the V-shaped wires you can pull out of a big wire brush, you
know, the kind with a wood handle. It makes it easier to get those wires out
if you saw away the wood at one corner to get to a group. I drilled six
5/64" holes 5/8" from the end of a 3" length of 9/32" OD tubing. Then I
poked the V-shaped wires through those holes until I got  5 wires in each
hole so they all came out the end, half inside, half outside the brass tube.
Then I bound the outside wires tightly to the OD of the tube with dental
floss and jammed the inside wires against the ID of the tube with a round,
tapered piece of wood - - actually I used a part of a handle from a small
paint brush. You might want to trim all the wires to about 3/8 " beyond the
tube end, but watch out, the wires are pretty hard springy steel, and might
put notches in your cutter, if it isn't made for hard steel. The use of the
circular brush is obvious - - just twirl it in the connector a few seconds,
and it's clean.

Good luck,

Chuck