Re: Dedicated Z-wave sites?

> I think that once Vista hits, with its very different way of doing things,
> your already incredible workload will double and you won't be able to keep
> up.  It's a pattern so common it's sad, really.  I've seen it, closeup, at
> least ten times, maybe more.  Those are the spectacular ones I can recall,
> where someone mortgaged his home to propel the software business.  This
> goes
> back to the days of 386MAX, built and marketed just blocks from where I
> worked 20 years ago.  When MS put EMM's inside the OS, the bottom fell out
> for third party memory managers.  Can you really afford to split your
> current level of resourcing when Vista arrives?

For the record, it spent basically 15 minutes getting CQC to run under
Vista. Well, I spent four or five hours setting up a new machine and
installing Vista so I could test it. Actually, I installed it twice because
I screwed something up the first time. But, once installed, it turned out
that there's a little tweak to .cmd file required to get the installer to
run, something that I need to figure out how to do automagically so that the
customer doesn't need to do it. And you have to run the installer via the
file explorer (using the 'Run as administrator' instead of from the command
line as most people do.) But that's it. Everything else seems to run just
fine as is.

So it wasn't nearly as doom and gloom as you seemed to think it was. I
figured it might take a code tweak or two, with a lot longer to figure out
what to do than to actually do it, but it looks like none will be required
at all.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd
www.charmedquark.com